Hiring a DJ for your wedding is an integral part of planning the entire event. There are important questions to ask your vendors before hiring them for an event, and choosing your DJ is one of the most important decisions you make. The planned music genres for your wedding day are an essential part of the experience you and your guests will enjoy. Having an idea of how the DJ does their work and what to expect will curb you from having a bad experience that can bring a downer to your party. At Windows on the Water, our professional wedding planners can help you choose the best decisions for your wedding to be everything you dream of.
Considerations for Playing Music at an Outdoor Wedding
If you are planning for an outdoor wedding, the needs of your event differ from those of an indoor party. You’ll need to have a plan in place in case something happens with the weather, plans change with vendors, or if your wedding day needs any other changes.
Here’s what to consider when planning music for your outdoor wedding:
- Processional music: The song you want to play when your crew and the bride walk down the aisle.
- Recessional Music: The music played at the end of the ceremony as the couple walks down the aisle, ending the ceremony.
- Background music: Any music played in the background as your guests await the arrival of the newly weds at the reception.
- Music for the reception: If you have a dance floor and are expecting upbeat music to get your crowd motivated, this is important to discuss with your DJ.
- Setup space: You’ll want to consider the setup and organization needed for your reception and what a DJ needs to do their work.
- Sound equipment: If sound equipment is needed for the wedding, you’ll consider who is in charge of providing it and where it will be stationed to avoid any interference.
- Weather conditions: In the event of bad weather conditions, your DJ and other vendors may need a plan B to ensure that your party can proceed. Speaking with your venue and planning crew, you can arrange a plan.
Depending on the style of your wedding, you may choose a traditional song to walk down the aisle, and more up-beat and popular songs for your reception. Communicating with your DJ about the music and genres you are expecting will prevent any misunderstandings during your celebration.
What to Ask Your Wedding DJ Before Hiring
If you’re unsure what to ask or where to start when speaking to your potential wedding DJs, take a look at these important questions you should ask. Many professional wedding DJs have their processes clearly laid out in a contract, however, you’ll want to ensure that you are able to communicate your expectations and understand what the DJ is responsible for during the wedding.
- What is your previous wedding experience as a DJ?
- What is included in your pricing and event package?
- What is your DJ style?
- Do you provide your own equipment?
- Do you take song requests during the wedding?
- Can you provide a sample of your mixes and music transitions?
- Do you make announcements during the wedding, as an MC?
- Is there a set playlist for the party, or do you improvise?
- Do you have equipment for an outdoor wedding?
- Can we give you a list of songs to play and songs to avoid?
- What are your meal requirements?
- What do you do if something goes wrong with the sound?
- Is there a plan in place if you cannot make it to the wedding?
- What is your backup plan in case of inclement weather outdoors?
- How do you encourage the crowd to participate?
While there are many other considerations to think about when planning your wedding and deciding on a DJ, the most important component is to ensure that your expectations and needs for the wedding are clearly communicated with your planner and wedding DJ. With a skilled wedding planner, you can ensure that your vendors are on the same page and that your wedding day is everything you’ve dreamed of.
Call Windows on the Water to Plan Your Outdoor Wedding in Central New Jersey
Outdoor weddings make for beautiful events and often help set the scene for great memories at a celebration. The music selection and DJ skills at a wedding party help your guests enjoy themselves in an upbeat and happy atmosphere. Windows on the Water outdoor wedding venue has helped many couples create a beautiful and well-planned wedding experience they loved. Our skilled wedding planning professionals and hospitable crew are eager to help you make your wedding dreams come true. You may contact our venue by filling out our contact form or calling (609) 208-9475 and one of our team members will answer any questions you may have.