Weddings are events that the bride and groom will remember forever—and so will their guests. One of the most memorable parts is the wedding dance.
The wedding dance can take varying forms. For example, some couples decide to choreograph a dance with the whole wedding party while others opt to keep the dance simple and traditional. Whichever route you choose for dancing at your outdoor tent wedding, here are some answers to commonly asked questions about wedding dance etiquette.
What Is the Proper Etiquette for the Wedding Dance?
The proper etiquette for your wedding dance will depend on what kind of tent wedding you are going for. If you are going the contemporary route, you can get pretty creative with the protocol you want the dance to follow. Traditional etiquette for the wedding dance includes the following:
- At the reception, the bride, groom, and the wedding party is typically introduced. After this introduction, the bride and groom will have the dance floor to themselves for a first dance. Many couples choose to practice this dance before the wedding.
- For the next dance, the father of the bride dances with his daughter, and the groom typically dances with the bride’s mother. Then, the groom’s parents dance with each other.
- After the dances with the family, the groomsmen may dance with the bride while the groom dances with the bridesmaids.
- After these dances are completed, the dance floor is opened to all the guests.
This is the traditional order of wedding dances. However, this general outline can be edited to best suit the wishes of the bride and groom.
What Are Some Contemporary Wedding Dance Ideas?
Increasingly, couples are getting more creative with their wedding dances. Some contemporary wedding ideas include:
- Choreographing a ballroom dance. This option usually requires the bride and groom to rehearse the dance for many weeks prior to the wedding.
- A flash mob-style dance. This option usually involves the bride and groom organizing a surprise dance with their wedding party.
- A theatrical wedding dance that resembles a stage production. This option will involve a lot of preparation with the groom and the wedding party.
These are just a couple of contemporary wedding ideas for inspiration. The most important part of the dance is that it reflects the personality of you and your partner.
What Are Some Tips for the Wedding Dance?
Wedding dances can require a lot of planning. Here are some tips to ensure that you have the wedding dance of your dreams:
- Choose a song that is special to you and your partner and has been significant in your relationship.
- Practice your dance before the wedding. Not only will this relieve some of the stress of dancing in front of a large crowd, but it will also be a fun bonding experience for you and your partner.
- Avoid high heels and wear comfortable shoes for dancing.
With the right shoes, lots of practice, and a special song, you’ll have a memorable wedding dance.
Contact Windows on the Water to Plan Your Outdoor Tent Wedding
At Windows on the Water, we recognize that your tent wedding location is going to host one of the most important days of your life. When you consult with one of our wedding professionals, you can enjoy your special day stress-free knowing all the small details are in trusted hands. Do you have your perfect tent wedding in mind and want to start learning how to make it happen? Call us today at (609) 208-9475 or fill out our contact form to learn about the amenities and services we have available.